Thursday, September 14, 2006

Sculpture quick sketch



I was looking at the Xugu paintings again at the museum tonight (how I'll miss them when they come down next month!) -- and I realized that what I especially like about them ----- is also what I like about this sculpture quick-sketch that Sterett-Gittings Kelsey sent me a few days ago.




Sterett and Xugu were born about 10,000 miles and 100 years apart -- but both of them spent their lives mastering a specific visual language -- so in their maturity, everything just seems to come so easy for them.




Like an impulsive gesture - that is instantly fit into a congenial space






How many plum trees has Xugu painted ? How many dancers has Sterett modeled ?



"With wanton heed, and giddy cunning, The melting voice through mazes running; Untwisting all the chains that tie The hidden soul of harmony"

2 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Milton? Lovely. And when you write "sent" -- do you have this piece in your physical possession? If so, how wonderful the tangible! I maintain that the sculptor is the materialist with a soul.

September 14, 2006  
Blogger chris miller said...

Yes, the lines are from Milton, but no, all I have are the pictures, not the piece itself.

And I guess I am a materialist -- but one who's not concerned with possession.

September 15, 2006  

Post a Comment

<< Home

<