Thursday, January 11, 2007

Warrior Women Artists



Still On the trail of the women warriors ....I just discovered this sculpture -- made by California sculptor, Jason (Jessie) Emerson Herron (1900-1984).

(She'd collaborated on the multi-piece "Power of Water" monument in Los Angeles with Armenian sculptor, Henry Lion, who was the teacher of Apache sculptor, Armando Baeza who shares his many opinions on the Aesthetics-L listserv. -- that's how I found her)

I wonder.... was the above piece meant to sit on the floor ? It seems to belong up in a niche --- perhaps in the lobby of an art deco movie theatre ?




But the web doesn't have much on Ms. Herron -- beyond the above suffering figure.

Well... she seems to have specialized in female figures -- and she lived a long time --where are all the others ?



Oops -- here's one more that Marly found -- so far, this is my favorite -- and I might even be convinced this relief was excavated from a lost civilization in central Asia.

5 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Never heard of her. You would think there would be a first-rate art image search engine... I saw one little additional fragment: www.askart.com/askart/artist.aspx?artist=5024644

I wonder how much WPA-era art has been destroyed. Don't know a thing about that, but if her work was primarily with public buildings, it may have vanished, in great part--no?

January 11, 2007  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

"I might even be convinced this relief was excavated from a lost civilization in central Asia."

Really? Looks very deco to me. I guess I see your point.

January 12, 2007  
Blogger chris miller said...

These pieces made me think about your recent photo essay of buildings in San Francisco, Conrad.

Herron's relief seemed especially Buddhist to me - but much of what's called art deco seems very different

January 12, 2007  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Steve says look at some of George Josimovich's other art like the block print of "The Chicago River" from the 1920's it's not just good it is incredibly great and by the way I enjoyed your blog site. I found his (George's) print on several art dealers sites for free.

January 16, 2007  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Jason (Jessi) Herron was the Director of OTIS Art Institute in downtown Los Angeles in the fifties. She also taught drawing courses there. She exhibited in the Berlin Olympics in the 1930's.
She lived in Ventura until she died in the 1980's. She was born in Denver in 1900.

I found about 126 of her drawings in a Santa Barbara funkie antique store. Drawn on the usual brown butcher paper of the times.
Wonderful drawings. Some sheets are drawn on both sides. There were some photos and a short bio on her.
I bought all the drawings that the shop had and I still have them.

When I saw them they reminded me of some of the drawing styles being taught at OTIS in the sixties. I had taken a life drawing class there taught by Charles White, the african amercian artist. He was a great instructor.
Bill... inman2@alaska.net

July 15, 2008  

Post a Comment

<< Home

<