Sunday, May 11, 2008

Borglum's Sheridan


I've always admired this piece,
though usually,
I can only give it a glance
while turning onto Belmont
from Lake Shore Drive.

What a contrast with the elegant, severe
St. Gaudens' equestrian in Grant Park.




This one is more earthy,
fleshy, and
dynamic


From what I've seen so far,
it's my favorite American equestrian,
and my favorite Borglum -
and an improvement over his
earlier version for Washington D.C.


Gutzon Borglum did the piece when he was 55 - about
five years before starting Mt. Rushmore.














Unfortunately,
the piece is surrounded by some
of the ugliest architecture
Chicago has to offer.

2 Comments:

Blogger Robert said...

I think I too prefer this one to the Washington version but I have reservations about the horses' near fore. I have had extensive arguments on the natural bending of the joints of a horse's leg in this position. He is close to getting away with it but only just and some would argue otherwise.

You are lucky to have so much beautiful large sculpture in th Us.

May 14, 2008  
Blogger Robert said...

So where are all those wonderful pictures you mentioned the other day Chris? Can't wait for ever!

May 25, 2008  

Post a Comment

<< Home

<