Sunday, March 29, 2009

Cruel Beauty







So,
where would you expect to find
a piece like this ?

(other than in the Ando Gallery of the Art Institute)

Obviously,
in the boudoir of
a femme fatale









There's something unnatural
about its beauty.

Sometimes,
even when she's wearing
way too much makeup,
a woman can still be beautiful.








This would be a drawer
where the deed
to a client's family is being kept.
(before it is sold to a speculator,
and the current inhabitants are evicted)




or,
what about this cricket cage.











with a captive pair of
metal crickets.


There's something
so uncomfortable about it.

As a beautiful object
that might adorn a life of hopeless despair.

(both of the above are Meiji era pieces)


















Of course,
I'm much more comfortable
with some 15th C.
Wabi Sabi.






reminds me
of the floor
of my studio!


4 Comments:

Anonymous marly said...

Your very own view of the world is so sharp and clear, Chris--one feels here as though what you say is inevitable, right down to that loose 3-line accidental haiku (titled "Wabi Sabi"?) at the close.

March 31, 2009  
Blogger chris miller said...

I can only hope that -- eventually -- one of these objects will make it into one of your stories, Marly.

March 31, 2009  
Anonymous artiseternal said...

The little box - I bet it held precious perfumes and powders for beautification.
I really like the cricket cage. It's a fine piece of miniature workmanship.
K

March 31, 2009  
Blogger chris miller said...

I should have noted: that the cricket cage also serves as an incense burner. (which I badly need in my store - since it often serves the great unwashed)

April 01, 2009  

Post a Comment

<< Home

<