Sunday, June 27, 2010

Fragments of Louis Sullivan



O.K.
I'm a Louis Sullivan fan.

Not that I have to see
everything he ever designed.

But if he hadn't lived,
I think I'd be someone else.


(I once began a discussion of him here )







These pieces are so alive.




So it was really sweet
to see these fragments on display
to celebrate some kind of anniversary for him.








I love these heads
that were part
of the sadly demised
Garrick Theatre









No idea who sculpted them.

But... who made the sculpture heads at Chartres?














And what a treat to find
some of his life drawings on the wall.


No, Sullivan does not appear
to have done a lot of these.

He shows little familiarity
with composing the volumes
in and around the human body.





But you see
that his eye-hand
is dead on.
















1 Comments:

Blogger Robert said...

Hands are always a giveaway, if you can do them it proves serious talent.

I too enjoy this work (in moderation) an elaborate disciplined doodle!

Trust all is well in Chicargo.

July 19, 2010  

Post a Comment

<< Home

<