Thursday, October 13, 2011

North Park Art Walk : 2011



It was time for the second annual Anna Koh Salon - also known as the North Park Art Walk

Above is Anna and Jeff's maquette for a current commission depicting the first American-born saint: Elizabeth Ann Seton

How complex, how melodramatic, and how Victorian! The final 8-foot panels were in the beginning stages of modeling.

(BTW - here's a design my father made to compete for a Mother Seton commission back in the early 60's. It didn't win, and ended up in my bedroom until I went off to college)




Meanwhile, Jeff has been back at the easel lately, defying every standard of art made after 1900.

(though I think Aristotle, as well as Plato, would have been pleased)









Here's his work-in-progress.







Ryan Shultz


Many of last year's artists were missing, but there were so many good, new ones.... I think the show the show was better than ever.





Melinda Whitmore






Melinda Whitmore



Catherine Maize

Her gallery brings her to Art Chicago every year.

I love this early 20th C. Modernism.









Kim Chong Massey

The title of this piece is "Memory" - and yes, that's how memories feel to me.





Janet Metzger

An exciting new discovery for me, she got an MFA from the School of the Art Institute in 1995, but then "took a sabbatical" to raise several children.

Now that all the children are in school, she's back at the easel doing portraits of some of her fellow moms -- much more sensitive, and beautiful, than similar portrait-pattern arrangements done by Kehinde Wiley







Ivan Albright

There were a few dead artists in this year's show, as well.

The above is especially interesting because it's a portrait of the artist's father, the painter Adam Emory Albright.



Fritzi Brod (1900-1952)

Here's a self portrait by a Czech/Chicago artist completely new to me.

She wrote a book about floral patterns.



Barton Faist

And here's a portrait of C.S. Lewis by the artist/dealer who brought the two historic pieces shown above.






Elsa Munoz

A rising star in Chicago art, this view through her grandmother's window is typical of her feeling-saturated paintings.




David Abed






Tim Lowly

Lowly teaches art at nearby North Park University





Here's his explanation.






Lois Raub

In the foreground is a terra cotta by Lois.

On the wall behind, is a portrait of her by her husband, Keith.

They've been married for as long as I've been alive. (and I'm on the mailing list of the AARP )




I wish we had more exhibits of mosaic.

It has a history that I really enjoy -- and the pieces last forever, unless there's an earthquake or barbarian invasion.





North Park is a culturally diverse neighborhood - and here's one of my favorite storefronts that's a fine piece of conceptual art.

It seems to be a miracle that the sign itself doesn't fall crashing into the street below.





Michael Ruback

And speaking of conceptual art, this is Michael's conception of the composer, Charles Ives, sitting upon a "musical chair"



Minh Do

Nobody but Rembrandt does a scraggly beard better than Minh.






Matthew Almy

This scene depicts one of the psalms where David thanks the Lord after battle.

It doesn't feel like an historical re-enactment, but I'm sure that's not the point.

7 Comments:

Blogger AJS said...

I rather enjoy your father's design. It has the energy and sweet spirit of an Amalia Dupré work.

October 15, 2011  
Blogger chris miller said...

I've got one image of Amalia Dupre sculpture on my website, and your note reminds me that I've got to start looking, again, for some more.

Thank you!

October 15, 2011  
Blogger AJS said...

I have some pictures that she gave to me when I met her in her Florence studio. Let me see if I can find and scan them for you.

October 16, 2011  
Blogger chris miller said...

I'd appreciate that!

In the meantime I'll try to hunt down a copy of her book, and will post a link to the video of her show

October 16, 2011  
Blogger AJS said...

Thank you for sharing the video! I had not seen it. Alas, I cannot find my 2006-7 sketchbook, but Sister Julia of the English Cemetery has some links to more images, including the sweet Demeter/Persephone:

http://www.florin.ms/amaliadupre.html

October 23, 2011  
Blogger chris miller said...

Wow - what a website!

But I'm getting confused about these two cousins, both of whom are called "Amalia Dupre".

The one you met is called "Amalia Ciardi Dupre", but what about the other?

The book about Tuscan sculpture, with the example that I just mentioned on my website, credits a piece to "Anna Amalia Dupre", but that name cannot be found by Google.

And I'm not entirely clear which pieces on Sister Julia's site belong to which cousin.

The St. Claire was apparently NOT done by Amalia Ciardi Dupre. Were there any others ?

October 23, 2011  
Blogger AJS said...

Eek. Sister Julia would know...let me see what I can find. I do know that Amalia C. has other figurative sculptors in the family history...I want to say a great-aunt...and there was a man...they did two of the figures on the Duomo in Firenze, if I am not mistaken.

October 28, 2011  

Post a Comment

<< Home

<